Minggu, 18 Februari 2018

iOS 7 running too hot? Cool off your iPhone with this solution

After using successive versions of iOS 7 betas on my iPhone for a few weeks now, I’ve learnt a hard lesson as an amateur ‘earlyadopter’. I say amateur, as I usually I have a handle on all my tech or otherwise geeky urges. However the allure of a complete iOS overhaul was just too much for me to resist. The lesson was a hard one, as I was reminded on several occasions throughout my days/weeks, that the OS was still very much in beta. Many apps would crash and simply not open. There were several UI glitches that made some apps almost unusable, and there also seemed to be some serious issues with the phone’s memory allocation. On several instances the OS would completely freeze and require a hard reboot. Many of these problems have since been rectified on each progressive beta release, so now many of my iOS 7 woes have been somewhat soothed.


However I feel the need to revisit a particular issue I had with my iPhone 4S and iOS 7, as I’ve noticed a few recurrences of it recently on some forums overheating. During the first two betas I experienced it significantly, to such an extent that I became seriously concerned for the welfare of not only the phone, but for my person too.


The solution that worked for me involved tweaking a few settings in the Location Services section of the settings app. GPS usage is a frequent cause of overheating in iPhones, so turning off many of the apps and system features that use Location Services is a sensible first step in finding a solution. I basically turned off all the location services I didn’t need:



  • Diagnostics & Usage

  • Locationbased iAds

  • Popular Near Me

  • Setting Time Zone

  • WiFi Networking


In my opinion most of these features are nonessential and I’ve since left them off permanently. In addition to this, I’d advise you to go through your list of apps that use location data and to again turning off any that aren’t necessary. This fixed my overheating issue, hopefully it will fix yours too. Let us know in the comments.


Related: